Friday, December 30, 2005

Zipang


As I said in a previous post, I usually make it a rule to avoid talking about anime, but once in a while I come upon a very well made anime that I feel I need to share with others interested in the Japanese animation Genre. Today’ anime is question is entitled “Zipang”.

The name Zipang may not be familiar to many, but it is an old name given to Japan by Europeans who sought a country that was rumored to have houses made out of pure gold, a country that was so prosperous and wealthy, it was the dream on many an explorer to find and conquer. Although I am not an expert on the subject, I recommend some internet research on the name.

Any way, the meaning of Zipang aside, let’s talk a bit about this anime with the same name.
To summarize the plot in short, an Aegis (Advanced Electronic Guidance Information System ) equipped class heavy cruiser “Mirai” of the Japan Marine Self Defense Forces JMSDF (海上自衛隊), leaves the naval base at Yokosuka, Japan, heading towards a military joint naval exercise with the American Navy near Pearl Harbor. On route, Mirai enters a weird atmospheric phenomenon only to find itself right smack in the Middle of the Second World War, and in the middle of the Battle of Midway. Shocked and disoriented, the crew of the Mirai face a decision that no one should have to make, either enter battle along side the Imperial Japanese Navy (IJN) thus rewriting history or defend it’s ideals as a part of the Japan self defense force, which are in sharp contrast to the goals and aims of the then Japanese armed forces.

The setting is interesting to say the least. Many I suppose have seen films where armies of present appear in the past. Many of these movies end with these forces completely rewriting history by using its knowledge of the past and the advanced military power they possess. I will not spoil the anime by telling you what the Mirai crew chose to do, but I will say this, in war there is no decision that is easy to make.

Of course the anime has a deeply important message. The ideals of abolition of war, the value of human life whatever side it is of, the ideals of self defense Vs. the ideals of War, the evolution of Post War Japan, the Japanese view of war. All of these are touched upon through the actions of the Mirai crew and of one IJN Officer, Kusaka, who having learned oif the outcome of the war, moves to create a Japan that is not what the crew of the Mirai nor the IJN hope for. Thus starting a chain of events that at the end of the series, leaves the viewer wandering and on the edge of his seat.

An Interesting aspect is the Japan self defense forces. The JSDF is not recognized as a military and from what I heard from some of my Japanese fiends, is viewed by many Japanese as a rescue and relief force rather than a full fledged military institution. I think they study of the Japanese opinion of the JSDF and it’s ideals is very interesting and I think this anime has started me thinking on many issues.

Of course as a military aviation fan (actually I am a frustrated pilot), the realistic portrayal of the operation of the Mirai Aegis cruiser was very interesting to say the least. Of course I have never been on board one to actually judge how real it its, but you can feel that there was a GREAT DEAL of research (maybe with the cooperation of the JMSDF) of modern naval warfare (Both Surface, Air and Sub-marine).

A VERY interesting point is that the Aegis equipped cruiser Mirai, is actually based on the JMSDF Kongo class of Heavy cruiser which ironically are based around the U.S. designed Aegis system and are modifications of the Arleigh Burke Class of heavy cruisers.

Upon research, one interesting discrepancy that i found was that in the series the Mirai has the Tomahawk stand-off (Long range) missile system installed, when it seems that the due to the status of the JMSDF role as a purely defensive force, the Tomahawk system is NOT installed in the real Kongo class cruisers. In a word, interesting.

If you have time, please check out Zipang. It might not have the Fast paced action or super robots or fantasy elements, nor does it superb animation or music, but is an eye opener on many issues that are interesting to ponder on to say the least.

P.S. This anime is based on a manga of the same name

An Ukyou (A) rated recomndation.

3 Comments:

At January 07, 2006 8:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just when I thought that I've had enough of movies and series telling me that wars are not nice, you recommend an anime that will tell me that for the nth time (I've lost count). But it really seems too interesting to pass up, and with your 'refined' tastes well, how can I not give it a try?

I'm guessing that all your words of courtesy to the series (or movie, you didn't specify) mean that you have it, ne?

I'd like to have my hands around a copy of it お願いありがとう最高先生!!

I know you are kind enough to give for nothing in exchange but..
I offer some Tezuka goodness that only I have the courage to download:
Hi no Tori 2772 Ai no Cosmozone
Hi no Tori half-length series (13Ep)
Black Jack Special: The 4 miracles of life.(4ep)

Tezuka's been called the god of anime and manga in Japan,y'know?

I think I just made you an offer you can't refuse :)

 
At January 07, 2006 1:52 PM, Blogger ukyou said...

hey samer san

Yes it is a series and Yes i have it , so you are moe than welcome to have a copy :P

 
At January 06, 2009 4:08 AM, Blogger SoNSo1 said...

I think it is written into the Japanese Constitution that it can't have a military force. I think they also had to renounce their martial ways as well.

The US don't sell Tomahawks to their allies, so the one used in the series is fictional. Of course they should've been using ship to ship missile.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home