Japanese cuisine in Jordan


Please note that the following is only a personal opinion and is no way an endorsment of any kind :)
Experinecing anew culture means lots of things, communication in a new language, learning new customs and manners, being introduced to new ways of thinking and of course trying out new cuisines.
Japanese cuisine is a bit different than other cuisines of the world. The keyword in Japanese cuising "日本料理” or ”和食” (Nihon ryouri / Washoku ) is without doubt "Aesthetics".
Any type of food served is considered a Visual/Audible as well as s culinary expeience. Taste is of course important but at the same time the "beauty" of the served cuisine is as important if not more than the taste itself. First your eyes eat and then your mouth does. That doesn't mean there are no Nitty-Gritty no frills Pragma-food also. But in general Japanese food is delicious to the eyes.
Japanese taste is a bit different from the one we are accustomed to in the mediterranian. Subtle tastes prevail over over the top taste of many dishes served in our region. The emphasis on sea food coupled with the use of unfamiliar ingredients may surprise first timers. yet it is important to underatand that this is "A new taste", that has to be takes as it is, "A new taste"
Japanese food is renouned for being healthy! The low use of oil and rgular meat makes it so by default. The priotions are also different. Many visitors to Japan are shocked by the small portions that are served at times.
Any way, aside from the almost notorious Sushi and Sashimi, which are now more "International cuisine", Japanese cuisine has lots to offer.
In Jordan it is possible to experinece good Japanese cuisine; but at a price!!
Although there are some really nice places to experince Japanese food, Be wary of "Quasi Japanese" cuisine. The reliance of Japanese cuisine on sea foods makes it challenging. FRESH fish is a rarity in Jordan in contrast to Japan, were the fish you eat is most probably harvested the same day of the day before. Japanese friends around me are very critical to where the best cuisine can be found and have the deffinative list of "Where to go to eat OO".
One regretable but inevitable fact is that Japanese cuisine in Amman is EXPENSIVE! That is not hard to understand but to spend 30 JD for one person to get your fill is quite "EXTREME".
Well you can sell a toe or two and get money. But i digress.
Anyway feel free to ask about my favorite Japanese restaurants in Amman.
(will not post their names directly on the blog).





4 Comments:
When I first tasted Japanese food, I did not find it delicious, but oddly I felt a strong craving or longing to have more. This feeling of wanting to try Japanese food lasted a while, until finally Japanese food grew on me. I still consider it a luxury though as it is quite heavy on the wallet and light on the stomach.
I will mention names however: Japanese residents here prefer Benihana which is in Meridian or Marriot (I can't remember). Benihana is a well known international chain.
Oh, by the way Tymoor, I wouldn't call our food 'over the edge', I also think that Arabic food is a feast for the eyes as well. However, in anything relating to Aesthetics, Japan, like all material societies is well ahead of us aesthetics-wise.
Just my 2 piasters.
Samer san
I think you got the "over the top" part the worng way! I meant that strong clear taste (Aji) in our food is of importance. while in Japanese i get the feeling that the taste is more subtle and subdued.
And by the way i think mediterrian food is aesthetic also. Isn't the pefect spherical shape of falafel very zen influenced :P
"the pefect spherical shape of falafel very zen influenced"!!!
Very stimulating sensei ;)
I think I'll start eating Falafel just for this reason !
Japanese food is more subtle? Subdued?! Blasphemy!
What about Kurash and Fawaregh? Or even Kaware3?!
Or dare I say, N'kha3aat?!
Post a Comment
<< Home