Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Ukyou reviews, the iPhone


Today started out quite normally with a trip to JU followed by a wonderful and exciting encounter with the bureaucracy of our academic system at the ministry of higher education (actually it was not THAT bad).
The rest of the day was spent working on the top secret project for the Japanese language section, which half of Jordan knows about. The time is 7 PM and going home is the next step.

Since I live at the end of the world now, I first passed by Sweifieh to pass some time before being picked up for my long journey home. There I encountered the highlight of the day. The iPhone.

Hopping for a bit to the Apple shop, I was hoping to get some quality time with the (in)famous iPhone. Having had bad experiences with the iPod Shuffle I was hesitant to touch apple's flagship product. In the end the Nerdy Gizmo loving instinct overcome rational thought and I succumbed.

Within minutes I found myself manhandling the iPhone. Well manhandling is an over statement. I got a good 10 minutes of handling the phone and it was 10 minutes of ecstasy. Gizmo ecstasy that is.

I can sum up the iPhone in one word...."polished". If you look up the word "polished" the iPhone picture is sure right next to it. The design, the interface is just so.... freakishly polished.
I can understand why people swoon when they see the iPhone.

So does your resident Japanese language teacher approve this little bugger?
hummmmmm.......
Actually NO! (Not completely)
I love the iPhone to bits, but for all the WRONG reasons.

First of all this is not a smart phone, it is a dumb phone disguising it self as one. Under all the glitz is a weird mishmash of very cool and uncool features.

It is the perfect phone that could have been.It is a beautiful device. But give it another name PLEASE.

What i liked about the iPhone:

The interface. It is so darn simple and easy to use. Intuitive is the word. Next, the web browser. Mobile safari is really cool and the browsing using the touch screen is a dream.
The photo browser. Browsing is like a dream. Flip pictures with your thumb, zoom with pinching a picture. ooooh. Touch screen and QWERTY keyboard. Very smooth. But my gigantor fingers have to move nimble and fast.

What I don't like and want fixed in the next 3G iPhone:

For starters ,the 2 MP camera. What? that's it? The camera is so simple it makes my photography instincts cry! No video also! What a waste of potential! Next thing to mind, the minimalist design of the interface. What? Ukyou the purveyor of everything zen and Japanese says no to minimalism? Well call me weird but i found it too simple in design. Maybe that was Cupertino's philosophy but they could have done something a bit more Dynamic. It is minimalism with no soul. Easy to install Skins for the interface PLEASE!
The controlism of apple is also a problem in the iPhone. I want to be able to change things around more easily, don't want to have to use iTunes, we want freedom!
More in depth features for each application. Apple should have a novice interface and an all out i am an IT Tatsujin interface.
No japanese iPhone yet. BOOOOOOOOO (I think the 3G iPhone is coming to save the day)
The touch screen screams Japanese handwriting detection. Oh my!
Then there is the matter of the development of new apps. I hope apple loosens up with 3rd party support for this thing. it will mean VERY cool apps in the future.
Lastly in the past having an apple said that your were of the ranks of the unique MacNerdom. Now having an apple product is a status symbol. It so POP culture, it really detracts from the gadget's uniqueness.

The last things is that if it breaks, you are officially screwed, since you will be at the mercy of the service of Apple in Jordan. You cannot change the battery yourself. Tsk Tsk!

So in the end do I want one? Yes!
Will I get one? I still need my kidney!

Of course this whole post is based on 10 minutes of uninformed tomfoolery with the gadget so do not take it seriously, and don't base any judgements on the thing until you try it out first hand!

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

At May 28, 2008 4:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

デザインがかっこいいですね。(^^)
けどヨルダンで買うと高いでしょう・・?日本でも高くてお金持ちしか買えないですよ。それに壊れたり無くしたりするのが怖いから、自分はきっと買わないと思います。電話や音楽プレーヤーを一体にする必要ってありますかね?別々に買ったほうが安上がりだし機能も上です・・。アイフォンを買うくらいなら、iPod nano 4ギガバイトと、安いノキアの携帯電話をそれぞれ別々に買いますね、自分だったら・・・。

 
At May 28, 2008 10:49 AM, Blogger ukyou said...

おっしゃるとおり!
かっこ良すぎるともうほどかっこいいです。
しかも、高い!契約つきでも何百JDになると聞いています。そこまで必要ですか。いや、それはどうかな~・・・

結局個人の好みで決める話ですね。
シナジーを重視するコンシューマーは「何でもできる」マルチメディア通信機を好みかもしれません。私はその一人です。

壊してしまったら、悔しさでもう一周間泣いてしまうかもしれません。安いノキアなら「まあ、いいや」で話が終わりますね、へへ。

 
At May 28, 2008 8:37 PM, Blogger Saemon 左衛門 said...

"Apple should have a novice interface and an all out I am an IT Tatsujin interface."
!. Very interesting point. Having an interface simple to the novice, but with more depth for the techies. With Shortcuts, customization, etc. I think it is difficult to achieve, but if done right would yield wonderful results. Are you sure it didn't have anything of the sort?

Nice, informative review by the way, although I wouldn't call it a review based on 10 minutes.

question: on what basis is it being sold here? Did Apple make a deal with any of the mobile operators? Or does the Apple dealer sell another region's iphone decrypted?(!!)

By the way, have you ever heard of Android? If not, google it. It is the future of mobile!

 
At May 28, 2008 8:45 PM, Blogger ukyou said...

Saemon 左衛門

Thanks, i still feel the review was written in haste.
Sadly, I didn't see any signs of a more advanced interface so i presume is not there.

The phone was unlocked for demonstration. I heard that Orange is picking up the iPhone for the middle east, and Jordan is already announced as one of the countries.

I have soem background on android, still nothing concrete except for some proof of concept implementations. looks interesting enough!!

 
At May 28, 2008 8:52 PM, Blogger ukyou said...

Saemon 左衛門 さん

The above was written in haste so the さん i forgot, to u i apologize!

 
At May 29, 2008 12:04 AM, Blogger Saemon 左衛門 said...

Hmmm, Orange? Are you sure? The only point of presence for orange as a mobile operator in the middle east is Jordan. iPhone uses the GSM standard, so Apple needs to partner with established mobile operators.

Anyways, I think its kind of pointless for iPhone to launch in Jordan before the Gulf countries; we just don't have much purchasing power for such a thing.

Android is an open source operating system for mobile phones. In that sense it is the anti-iPhone and having someone with as much industry clout as Google behind it, you better watch out!

By the way, it is already running in beta on an emulator and google started software development competitions for the OS.

 
At May 29, 2008 8:47 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

T-sensei!

Upon reading your review of the iPhone, I must say it is fairly accurate for a ten minute experience only. My sister and brother in law have them, and it's true, it's glamourous in terms of looks and the ooooh touchpad factor....however, it's a bit too basic and boring for what you might expect for such a phone. My sister was highly disappointed at the lack of freedom as well!

Monia.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home