Saturday, July 19, 2008

Lifelong education!

I read a really interesting news tidbit on yahoo! Japan today.

According to a recent Public opinion poll, results show that over 70% of the Japanese public wishes at some point in the future to engage in lifelong education.

Of course lifelong education as a concept may differ from one to the other, some may see it as a chance to engage in hobby like activities, while others may see it as a means to enrich their lives. It doesn't have to be academic I believe.

This is a very admirable aspect of Japanese society that I think we can try to foster in all of us young and old! There is this a regretful misconception that study ends at either school or university and that hitting the books or engaging in any cultural activity or hobby at a later age is not dignified.

The willingness to keep learning is a trait that we must learn to respect!
I can only remember S Kun's Excellent speech in Japanese about the same issue.
S kun, you hit the nail in the head!

Labels:

4 Comments:

At July 21, 2008 1:37 PM, Blogger Saemon 左衛門 said...

Yeah, I should've been a carpenter! :P

I read it again yesterday. I don't think I can top it.

Always nice to hear that my speech made an impression.

70% is huge by the way. books, courses, activities over the lifetime of 70% of people is a lot of good 'culturing' and money!

I don't think it has to be academic either, just holding to the idea that you might improve or learn something new, or maybe even change your mind about somethings, even if you are 60+ years old; having this mentality alone is a form of 'lifelong learning' in my opinion. Easier said than done, though.

 
At July 21, 2008 9:35 PM, Blogger prometheus said...

I find the following saying most fit to be said here:
"118 - Consider ye the seed from which ye sprang;
119 - Ye were not made to live like unto brutes,
120 - But for pursuit of virtue and of knowledge.'"
Divine comedy, Inferno, Canto XXVI: Lines 113-128, Dante Alighieri

 
At July 24, 2008 4:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

そうですね、わたしもSさんのスピーチを思い出します。
いくつになっても学ぶことはたくさんある。
いえ、知れば知るほど、知らないことが増えていきます。だから、学び続ける気持ちが大切ですよね。ほんとう、Sさんのスピーチそのものです。
私も謙虚に学んでいきたいと思います。

K-s

 
At July 24, 2008 4:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

そうですね、わたしもSさんのスピーチを思い出します。
いくつになっても学ぶことはたくさんある。
いえ、知れば知るほど、知らないことが増えていきます。だから、学び続ける気持ちが大切ですよね。ほんとう、Sさんのスピーチそのものです。
私も謙虚に学んでいきたいと思います。

K-s

 

Post a Comment

<< Home