With Canon Jordan, you can't !
My quest to fondle the latest and greatest in digital photography equipment took to me to the Canon dealership in Jordan. I was hoping to get some fondling time with the Canon EOS 40D and squeeze off some shots and maybe get my Canon version of the infamous Shutter sound burst Video.
My hopes were all dashed and then some.
Arriving at Canon I looked around to find a 40D on display fitted with and EF-S 17-85mm IS kit lens. Situated right above the 40D were a brand new 400D and a Speeelite 580EX II flash unit. This alone gave me goose bumps as the substantial size difference and heft of the 40D tempted me even more to ask for a hands-on. The guy at the counter called for some one from the Back office to answer some question from customers that were there before me. Once they finished I hit him with my request.
True or lie I cannot say, I was told that the 40D sits behind a glass cabinet that only the showroom manager, who by the way was out, had the keys to. Being so convenient to ward off would be fondlers raised an eyebrow of mine. Knowing that I cannot demand a hands-on I submitted to the fact that my fingers will not fondle the 40D today.
That was a stark difference from the treatment I got at Nikon! Well to be fair, he might have been telling the truth but to deny a customer that has clearly come to try out a product flat out is cruel!
Next was the inevitable Question, "how much does it cost?"
I was not that shocked but the answer left a bitter after taste.
The 40D is a mid range DSLR so nothing comes cheap. On amazon you can get it with a kit lens for USD1300 (little less than JD900). Canon's asking price was a whopping JD1500 (not including TAX I was told) making it around JD1750. Although I think he misquoted since I remember that it was advertised on a weekly Ad paper as JD 1500 tax included.
Now assume it is JD1500 which is around USD 2100 let's do the math!
2100- 1300= USD 800 which is about 550 JD is the price difference!!
I know DSLRs are not necessities and are absolutely a luxury item, but this is way over priced.
I don't believe neither Customs, TAX or Shipping can cover all of this price difference.
Asking the next logical question "Why on earth is it that more expensive?" I got the usual "but you get to have our service and warranty". Well Mr. Canon rep. you can take that "service and warranty" and ..... (creative ending added here).
I know that anybody who has been abroad will be spoilt with the better prices over there, so this comparing game is not really meaningful. Yet sometimes one cannot help but feel like it is a highway robbery.
In the end I came to the conclusion I read on another local blog, that if you want to invest in photography as a hobby (or any other hobby) then buy your equipment anywhere but here!
As much as I want to buy local, I don't want to be ripped off!





6 Comments:
ヨルダンではデジカメが高いのは知っていました。
Canonだと、大体日本の店頭価格と比べて2倍の値段ですね。
ソニーやFujifilmも高かったです。
デジカメは日本やアメリカで買ったほうがいいかもしれませんね。
日本の値段の最安値はこちらで調べられます。(知っていたらごめんなさい)
http://www.kakaku.com/
書き忘れましたが・・・
キャノンは全世界、同一仕様なので、日本で買ってもアメリカで買っても同じです。
キャノンのカメラはかならずEnglish modeがついていますので安心。
ソニーやFujifilmは日本で買うと、日本語モードしかついていないので日本語が分からない人は気をつけてください!!
なので、キャノンだけは日本の免税店で買わずに普通の電気店で買ったほうが安いです。
英語のマニュアルはCanonのホームページからダウンロード可能です。
anonumous さん
書き込んでくださって、ありがとうございます。
おっしゃるとおりヨルダンでカメラなどの精密電気製品を買うと大変な損になります。
どうしてこんなに高いとか、実は納得できる理由は一切ありません。ディーラーが大儲けをしたいだけかもしれません!
キャノンはおっしゃるとおり仕様はどこでも同じですね。秋葉原のヨドバシではじめてデジタル一眼レフを買っとき、店員はおまけに英語の取扱説明書を付けてくれました。
カメラの操作メニューも英語に切り替えでき
るのは標準で、日本で買ってもOK!
私は最初キャノンを意識して選んだということではないですが、今はキャノンレンズ何本を購入しているのでキャノン派になりました。
ニコンもいいですが、今個人的にキャノンの使いやすさや画質(特に色彩)にこだわりを持っています。
anonumousさんは写真撮影にご興味をもっていますか?
はい、写真撮影に興味あります。
ukyouさんの写真は、綺麗な写真ばかりですね。ズームが良い感じです。
さすが、既にキャノンのカメラを日本で買っておられたんですね。
ヨドバシ秋葉原で、英語のマニュアルをサービスでくれたのはよかったですね。今度立ち寄ってみます!
確かに日本でも中級以上の層にはキャノンが一番人気ですね。やっぱり画質がいいみたいです。
緑色がソニーなどだとぼやけるのですが、キャノンだと綺麗に取れるので木を撮影するのにいいみたいですね。白とびしにくいのもgoodです。キャノンもレンズはニコンのレンズを使っていると聞きました。だから両方ともレンズ自体はおそらく同じなのではないでしょうか?
Anonymousさん
写真撮影に同じ興味を持っている方にコメントをいただいてとてもうれしいことです。
写真は本当ど素人レベルのものばっかりで、撮影のテクニックについて勉強しなければならないのが多いです。アドバイスがありましたらぜひ教えてください。
おっしゃるとおりキャノンのマーケットシェアはトップですが、ニコンは最近がんばっていますので、中上級ユーザーも最近ニコンに目を向けますね。ニコンのD3、D700、D300のフラッグシップ一眼レフはすごいですね!
キャノンの画像の色彩処理はニコンより優れているような意見も多いですね。(私もそう思っています)。
しかしキャノンのレンズはあまりシャープじゃないということはあると思います。キャノンもレンズはニコンのレンズを使っているのは初耳で、びっくりします。
レンズのガラスは同じでも、画像処理で差は必ず現れますね。
この話をして、また新しいレンズを買いたくなりました(貧乏なのに~)。
写真はとても上手に撮れてますよ!さすがですね。
あ、キャノンがニコンのレンズを使っていたというのは昔の話で、今は違うかもしれません。(おそらく今は独自のレンズを作っていると思います)
レンズって高いし保管も大変ですよね!けれどいろんなレンズがあると楽しいですよね。
これからも色々綺麗な写真とってくださいね。
Post a Comment
<< Home