Wednesday, October 22, 2008

緊急事態@ヨルダン大学 The day the roof fell !

今日、ヨルダン大学でいくつかの「面白い」ハプニングがありました。

まず昨日の大規模停電に続いて、今日もヨルダン大学周辺はまだ停電が起こりました。ノートパソコンを使っている私のとって、仕事にはあまり影響はなかったですが、ネットが使えなくなったのは短くても、痛く感じました(ネット依存症?)

で、12時すぎたら、同じビルの3階の中国語の先生の控え室のセントラルヒーティングのラジエーター(放熱板)から水が突然「噴火」してしまいました。

原因を調べると下でセントラルヒーティングのメンテナンスをしていた人がセントラルヒーティングのポンプの電気を入れたら、3階の部屋にあったかなり錆びていたラジエーターから水が突然にあふれ出してきました。中国語の先生はそのラジエーターのすぐとなりに座っていて、幸いにあふれ出してきた水にぬれていませんでした。しかし、部屋は「池」になってしまいした。この話を聞いて、状況を見に行きましたが、自分の控え室に戻ると、なんと同僚のK先生がバケツをもって、天井から漏れている水をあせって、収めようとしていました!

セントラルヒーティングの配管でつながっている3階の中国語の先生にたまっていた水が、1階の私の控え室まできて、False ceilingの上にたまり始めて、パネルは水を吸収して、どんどん落ちていました。
すごいことになりました。K先生と偶然その日控え室に来ていたKさんのすばやい対応がなかったら、 水が漏れているところのすぐ下にあったパソコンとプリンターが水にあたって壊れるところでした。
危なかった!!

3階の部屋にメンテナンスの人を呼んで、一応水漏れ問題は解決できましたが、中国語の先生の控え室と日本語教師控え室は悲惨な状況になりました。でも、少しずつ掃除したら、まあまあ普通に戻りました。今カーペットのシミとニオイが少しきになっています。

あまりの大胆なハプニングでしたので、しょうがなく写真を撮りました!

Lots of happening today at JU!
First off a 1 hour power outage. Using my Notebook I really didn't feel any disruption to my work but not being able to access the net was a bit of a bummer!

Next to happen was a radiator suddenly spurting lots of water on the third floor in the our Chinese language colleague's room! It seems they were doing pre-winter maintenance of the central heating in the building and as soon as they flipped the main pump switch, water started to leak and spurt out of the already very rusty third floor radiator!

Luckily the Chinese language teacher did not get soaked by the water, but the room was a mess! almost like a lagoon (cue frog cricket and frog sounds!)

I went to check things out and upon coming back to our room, I was shocked to find my colleague K sensei frantically trying to collect water leaking from the false ceiling of the roof in a make shift bucket! It seems that the water from the third floor leaked to the first along the connecting central heating pipes, and the false sealing saturated with water started to break up and fall on our heads!

I got the maintenance people to shut the water off and the water stopped leaking from the radiator of the 3rd floor and our own ceiling! It took us a while but we cleaned things up and went on our merry ways! The only thing left is the stain on the floor and the smell of wet carpeting!

What a day!
Of course pictures documenting the whole episode where taken! Enjoy!

Tada~!!

Free shower

Damage control

The aftermath

10 Comments:

At October 22, 2008 2:15 PM, Blogger Amani AbuQdais أماني أبوقديس said...

う!
う!
う!
うそー!ww

 
At October 23, 2008 10:48 AM, Blogger momiji said...

taihen deshita ne!!
Al7amdulellah 3la assalama.
I wonder why the offices of foreign languages are still in the old building!
why they don't move the offices to the "new languages" center?!

 
At October 23, 2008 12:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

大変でしたね。
でも、まだ、私がペイントした部屋を使っているのですね。
引越しをしなければならないと聞いたのですが。(momijiさんと同じ疑問ですが)

K-s

 
At October 23, 2008 12:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

↑でも、まだ使っていてくれて、嬉しいと思いました。久しぶりに部屋と再会して嬉しかったです。写真をありがとう。

K-s

 
At October 23, 2008 1:02 PM, Blogger Saemon 左衛門 said...

Sensei, you should have placed Peanuts' face (the monkey's name remember?) on the bin. Now I know everything about you like what you drink during freetime and office hours (Is there anything else to know really?).

Prepare for things like blackmail and sabotage. Buwahaha!

 
At October 23, 2008 1:06 PM, Blogger rua said...

eeehhh!

hen na , the last picture looks like a bar of chocolate and the gomibako looks like a glass :p

 
At October 23, 2008 1:13 PM, Blogger Saemon 左衛門 said...

Someone is hungry!

And I thought the Japanese ministry of tourism pays you well, rua-san! ;P

 
At October 23, 2008 2:06 PM, Blogger ukyou said...

みなさん!
コメントありがとう!
心配させて、すみませんでした。
大丈夫ですよ!

K先生へ
先生が愛をそそいで作ってくださった特別な空間を毎日すごく快適に使っています。
残念ながら、引越しせざるをえないんです!
よくごぞんじですね!
先生にヨルダンに遊びにきたとき、また小林先生タッチをお願いしたです。

先生が塗ってくださった壁をそのまま「持っていこう」と思いましたが、やはり無理ですね!

About the language center.. I don't understand it myself. I thought there was a Japanese corner but it is occupied by lecture rooms, most of them are ones that we can't use.

Saemon san and Rua san,
Funny comments!!!
I laughed outloud when I read them!
barabeer were flying across the room!

And I love the Peanuts thing, he is my new maskot!

 
At November 06, 2008 10:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

偶然オフィスに遊びに来ていたKです。
嬉しそうに天井を棒でつっついていたタイムール先生の姿が忘れられません。

最近、ちょっとカルシウム不足とか?
牛乳たくさん飲んでください。

 
At November 06, 2008 10:49 PM, Blogger ukyou said...

Kさん!

ブログを読んでくださってありがとうございます。

私にとって確かに「面白い」ハプニングでした。あの棒をあんなふうに使うと思ったことはまったくありませんでしたが、「楽しかった」です。

カルシウム不足って?
ふ~ん、どういう意味なんだろう?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home