Field report: Ukyou uses the Sigma AF 100-300mm f/4 EX HSM APO
Got the chance to whip out the bad boy Sigma AF 100-300mm f/4 EX HSM APO for a some indoor sports shooting at the Japanese language Course Ramadan Sports event. In the end I was very happy with what I got from the lens. Shooting about 580 shots, I found that the lens was quite good, albeit not perfect.An indoor Gym was the location. The constant aperture of F4 along the whole zoom range gives shots that were not possible by the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 USM IS. The fast focusing of the Sigma coupled with rather sharp images all along the focal length are reported in many reviews and I can clearly say that it is living up to the standard. I started shooting around 5 PM I found that I can get away with low ISO until it started to sunset till it became totally dark and I had to rely on the illumination of the hall which meant ISO 1600 all the way.
Thank you Mr. Peanuts for protecting personal information
100% crop, EOS 40D, ISO 400, 300 mm, F4, 1/500, DPP (sharpen 3)Using the 40D, I was shooting at RAW, High burst, AI Focus with center focus point only. I got some good keepers from the technical side (good exposure and on focus), although not having shot sports that much meant that much of the artistic and talent side was clearly and disturbingly lacking.
My observations are:
1) F4 is not enough!!! Even at the ISO 1600 is it not possible to shoot at moment freezing shutter speeds or those fast enough to shoot without hand shake ruining the shots. Although I used a mono pod that was clearly not enough. What I would do for a 300mm F2.8!! Since I have no bodily organs to sell I think the only solution would be using a better body (the new EOS 7D with the reported great usable high ISO 3200 and 6400(!!) may solve some of the problems, at the expense of detail and IQ)
2) You need Image stabilization (IS)! Why oh why does this great lens not have IS , sob...
3) Shooting sports is HARD! You really have to know how to scan the play area and select just the right moment to switch to the viewfinder and start tracking. Mono pod tracking is tough. A gimbal head might have been easier.
4) Shoot one sport at a time (don't Jump between Badminton and Basketball like I did) and pick a sweet spot and STICK to it! It might limit creativity but surely will make the shoot more efficient.
5) The 40D AI Focus was OK. Not stellar, but OK!
I was an idiot and did not try other options for lenses (I had the 100 F2.8 Macro also) boooo!
* A word of caution, Sigma lenses are notorious for bad QC! Test any lens carefully before buying anything. I got the 10-20 with a weird problem :P
Labels: photography, ukyou recommends






5 Comments:
GREAT TUTORIAL sensei...
shitsumon no ala desu kara...shistumon ga arimasu..
-does the VR (vibration reduction)in nikon resembles the IS?
as a final word ... do you recommend sigma lenses ? (keeping in mind the price as it matters for me... I plan to purchase a DSLR camera, so want to calculate my budget before thinking of any thing esle)
Ala san!
thanks for the comment... ^_^
Nikon's VR is almost the equivelant of Canon's IS. The benfit is being able to shoot at lower shutter speeds or at longer focal lengths without having to worry about hand shake.
Sigma lenses are GREAT value for money. they might not be the best optically but you can get good pictures within a resonable budget. The problem is that there is a possibility (actually even with original Canon lenses) that you may get a bad sample which may have focusing or other optical problems. Try before you buy is the key.
actually one more thing.
The Sigma 17-70 is one of my most favorite and most used lenses. Great resoluntion and good colors make this a winner.
Ala san, i feel you are being drawn to the darks side, the nikon side.
:) yeah somehow...
but when I went yesterday to see a nikon camera at grand stores and I was shocked that D300 with a lens and a 2 gig memory is 1650 JD!!!
and D90 is 1450 JD!!!
I didn't find D5000 neither D3000 :(
that was disappointing
Sensei
I've experienced the pleasure of the outdoor sport -although hard-, and the hell of indoor sports photography, especially with the simple point-and-shoot that i have, which photographs rather lovely dots, when the ISO is set to anything beyond 800.
But even with outdoor sports and enough lighting, taking the right shot of the right person at the exact right split of the second is nothing short of a miracle when using a slow camera (.8 fps with AF).
But sometimes one great photo makes up for a three-hours sunbath :)
Post a Comment
<< Home