Ukyou Manhandles: The Galaxy Tab
Today I got a brief but quite thorough look over of the Galaxy Tab. I really think tablets have a good role to play in the classroom for both the teacher and the student. But until tablet prices become more accessible and the usage modalities (Electronic textbooks, etc.) become more concrete and commonplace, using the tablet in a classroom is still a bit far off dream for many of us.
Anyway I had the chance to get a better hands on experience with Samsung's offering in the tablet market. I previously used the devices at various showrooms, but today I got to take it out for a spin at my own pace.
My first impression of this device was revisited today as quite nice. The 7 inch form factor as quite refreshing to hold and use. Although this size does lend itself for this device to be more of a personal use device than one that can be used in the classroom to display information (as a digital signboard or picture card).
I liked how the app screen is separated from the desktop, as you can have several desktop screens that can house your favorite apps and widgets. Something that is VERY sorely missed on the iPad UI.
The OS which was Android 2.2 (Froyo) was stable and quite snappy. There is the option of adding animated wallpapers but I really advise against it as it really bogs down the UI. Lots of nice applications are available through both the Samsung and Official Android markets but I could not help but feel that both seem lacking in both polish and implementation in comparison to the iPad app market experience. The ability to multi task applications is quite nice but with iOS 4.2 supporting (semi) multitasking this is a bit of old news now
Major technical differences to the iPad include the ability to use the device as a normal cell phone and messaging terminal using a 3G USIM. (the iPad only has 3G data capabilities) and the presence of a front and rear facing cameras.
There were lots of apps installed on the test device I tried out but the most memorable were Google Voice search, the Browser and the productivity apps (Calender, notes, etc.). I tried the crowd favorite Angry birds, which was fun to play on such a big display (only played it on the iPhone).
The biggest negative I could find, which is actually a very fatal one to me, is the complete lack of Japanese localization and keyboards!! There is a Korean locale and keyboard (which is natural since Samsung is Korean) but to completely neglect this is beyond redemption for me as a Japanese language teacher. The galaxy tab is offered in Japan with a Japanese original version of Android 2.2 but I guess it is not worth it to risk flashing to this Rom and risk bricking the device. There are some third party IMEs that can be installed to allow Japanese language input, but the one i tried out was not satisfactory and very annoying to use. I wish there was a native Japanese keyboard somewhere. (Note that you can open docs and browse Japanese websites).
One other small tidbits, include the fact that you can tether the device via USB to use as a 3G modem, and even use the device as a storage solution through USB and SD card. With all the functionality put into the USB port, it is very surprising that you cannot charge the device via USB.
It seems that the Galaxy tab is a nice device that will suit the needs of many. But the time being, I won't be looking to get one for a future classroom use, but rather set my eyes on getting a cheap iPad or even wait until the iPad 2 arrives.
Labels: e-learning, eラーニング, Ukyou Manhandles





0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home